Saturday, August 05, 2006

Summertime, and the TV-in' is easy, or How I learned to stop worrying and love Summer TV

So, as I was saying, summer TV doesn't suck anymore. (And by the way, I don't hesitate to use the word "suck" anymore, not after this article.)

Thursday:

  • A light night. Just the results show for BB6. I could watch reruns of The Office or My Name is Earl, but I never remember to. I also could be watching Who Wants to be a Superhero (8 p.m., Sci-Fi), but it looks a wee bit too cheesy. OK, a lot too cheesy, even for me.

Friday:

  • I've only watched Monk (8 p.m., USA) sporadically after the first season, and I didn't imagine I'd see much of it after original cast member Bitty Schram was dumped and replaced by Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place alum Traylor Howard. Bitty's just a cooler name than Traylor, you know. But the first episode of this season, co-starring Tony Shaloub's Big Night co-star Stanley Tucci, sounded intriguing, so I taped it. I'm still doing so; the mysteries aren't any more complicated than before, but Shaloub's pretty damn appealing.
  • It's also convenient to tape Monk because I figure I'll be taping its lead-out, Psych, for a while, too. Like Monk, the mysteries aren't anything too complex, but the lead characters -- James Roday as a phony psychic with photographic memory, and Dule Hill as his reluctant partner -- have great chemistry. And even though Timothy Omundson and Maggie Lawson are wasted as the detective rivals of the PIs, I still enjoy the actors.

Saturday:

  • Absolutely nothing.

Sunday:

  • BB6 again, occasionally followed by Cold Case (8 p.m., CBS) reruns that I missed last season.

That's less than 20 hours a week. Pretty light, as you'll see in my next post.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't like Entourage, or don't have HBO? It's not something I would watch during the rest of the year but for a 30 minute summer show I find it pretty engaging. Also, the new show Eureka on SF is pretty enjoyable. Feels like someone threw the X-Files and Northern Exposure in a blender and added a touch of Twin Peaks.

Anonymous said...

Oh, didn't see the below post on Eureka, sorry.

Chip Chandler said...

Don't have HBO. I'll be catching up on Season 2 of Entourage soon, I hope.