Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Paaaaaarty, Part 2

More on the Polk Street Block Party, continued from below:

The Tundra Zone Stage

5 p.m. Gary Patrick Hines: No clue who this guy is, but he leads off a mostly mellow lineup, with one real exception.

6:15 p.m. Chase-n-Scales: Two of the nicest, most talented musicians in town, Andy Chase and Maggie Scales-Peacock (Maggie's in the center of the photo), regularly team up for some gorgeous harmonies, skillful guitar playing and impeccable fiddling. Not to be missed.

7:30 p.m. The Martinis: Aw crap, I was supposed to go see these guys tonight at Sam Houston Park. Surely they got rained out. Anyway, they're one of Amarillo's premiere jazz groups -- not that there's a lot of competition, but still. Another band I wish I'd written about back in the day.

8:45 p.m. Gray County Line: Real nice guys, and one of the last bands I interviewed. I've yet to actually see them play, though. Sorry about the photo of them; it's not one of the best ever shot.

10 p.m. Just 2 Guys: Now this one, I just don't understand. I know these guys play a lot -- a hell of a lot -- but I just don't get why they'd be headlining a stage. This should have been Vic Fontana's spot.

The Power Stage

5 p.m. Jack Creek Road: Another new one on me, but the new Project Amarillo Website says they're a roadhouse blues and rock band, so there you go.

6:15 p.m. Jivin' Gene & The Playboys: Again, no clue, but what a ginchy name!

7:30 p.m. A Penny for Lane: These kids (I don't believe any of them are over 17 yet) put out some pretty damn good rock music, and have since they were prepubescent (under the name Frozen Illusion). I watched them for a while last year and got a real kick out of them.

8:45 p.m. The Tommy Gallagher Band: One of the town's more active Texas country bands, and one I wrote about a few times -- though again, I'll be damned if I can find any evidence of it. Last summer, they were featured on Texas Country Reporter, making it pretty far in a statewide competition. They continue hoping for big things, and it's nice to see them get a prime spot on one of the stages this year.

10 p.m. Boomerang: I fielded calls from these guys a lot, so I know they're pretty active. I don't think I've ever seen them live, though. (I did hear them on an Eveline Rivers Christmas CD once, however.) Still, they're great guys, and their brand of rock seems pretty popular around here.

Full Throttle Stage

5 p.m. Rock Bottom: I've only seen these guys once, but I've got a definite soft spot for 'em. Lead singer James Markham is one of the most earnest rockers I've ever met, and I absolutely don't mean that as a backhanded compliment. He's just a genuinely nice guy, and the band seems to have a lot of fun. Sorry they're on at such an early time, though.

6:15 p.m. Clear Creek Band: Here's a band that's been around for quite a while, though I don't know much about them at all -- just that they've been a pretty active bar band.

7:30 p.m. The Soulbreakers: A dying breed in Amarillo -- a true soul band. A cool quartet of guys who I'd go see more, if I had more of an appreciation for the blues. That's something I need to get over, I know.

8:45 p.m. A Show of Hands: Now, as I understand it, this is basically an amalgamation of two old bands -- Tejano band Algosimple and blues-rockers The Undertakers. I've only heard them in bits and pieces, but lead singer Carmen Rodriguez has a hell of a set of pipes.

10 p.m. Copperhead: Easily, the biggest touring band in the lineup, and one of the most popular bands in town. Their Golden Light gigs are usually packed to the gills, and I hear they pull a pretty mean crowd at Midnight Rodeo, too. They're the first truly local band I ever did a write-up on in Get Out!, so I'll always be fond of them. And oh yeah, they put on a hell of a show.

Another party note: They'll be lighting the old Paramount Theatre sign at 10 p.m., so I don't know what that'll mean to the bands' start times. Actually, I'm sure the bands will go on as scheduled; I'll be watching the lighting, though.

No comments: