Friday, August 10, 2007

Barack Obama at Logo's Presidential Forum

I'm still trying to figure out who I'm going to vote for, but I keep going back to this man. I'm thoroughly frustrated that none of the major candidates will either come out in favor of gay marriage or more clearly acknowledge that the reason they haven't is strictly political. But still, he gives me hope.



Edited to add: And then I read things like this cogent argument and I get frustrated all over again. Civil unions are nothing more than separate-but-equal stopgaps -- not good enough.

2 comments:

Drew Blood said...

Just like 3 years ago, I'm a Kucinich man. I started out liking Obama but as time goes by I keep seeing him more and more as a dirty career politician who happens to have more charisma points than his competitors.

If it came down to voting for one of the 3 "top tier" Dems, I'd begrudgingly lean toward Edwards at this point - for his stance on labor, mainly. There's a really good "quiz" floating around that matches your beliefs with a candidate. Let me see if I can dig it up for you.

Mark in DE said...

I'm with you in the frustration boat, and agree with you 100% that civil unions are simply a way to pacify gays without giving them equal rights. "Marriage" has all the rights spellled out already. It will take years and years and millions and millions of dollars for some unenthusiastic committee to define "civil union" and then assign to it the laws and rights most of us care the least about. Separate is not equal.