Friday, April 28, 2006

This weekend's movies

Now that I don't get paid to see movies anymore, I have a feeling I won't be seeing nearly as many. I'll probably go from 12 to 15 a month to, like, 2. Maybe.

But that doesn't mean I won't still have opinions on them. Here's this week's bunch, with snarky comments:

  • Akeelah and the Bee: I do want to see this one because (1) I'm a sucker for underdog stories, and (2) I want to see if Laurence Fishburne and Angela Bassett can make it through an entire movie without whaling on each other.
  • R.V.: Robin Williams needs to go away. Now. No, really. I'm serious. Unless he does more like this.
  • Stick It: It's from the writer of "Bring It On," so it may be worth a rental. Jeff Bridges is always interesting, at least.
  • United 93: I definitely want to see this, though I dread it equally. The trailers alone were enough to get my throat tight. Writer/director Paul Greengrass has a superb record, and early reviews are promising. Interesting note: Amarillo native Tara Hugo, daughter of jazz clarinetist Hugo Loewenstern, plays passenger Kristin White Gould.

No comments: